ACCUTRON 214

Submitted by FifthAvenueRes… on December 5, 2011 - 10:59am

Aquired an Accutron 214 of unknown History late last Year. Installed a new Accucell (correct voltage) and it started to hum and run flawlessly. I checked on it about a Week ago and it had lost time, which was very unusual as it had ran perfectly. Now it still hums (louder?) but the Hands are not moving - is this a clean and service issue?

I have removed the Battery.

Thanks.

firebaron90
Posted December 7, 2011 - 6:16pm

Any Idea if the watch was set up in the past to run on a 1.5 volt battery? If so the 1.35 v accu cell would cause it to run slow by theory.... Have you ever run a 1.5V battery before? I just had a 218D serviced. This watch ran accurate on the 1.5v battery, but it now runs fast. Maybe all that new slippery oil in the right places. The accutrons are very tempermental..

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted December 7, 2011 - 6:59pm

The 214 was purchased without knowledge of its prior history and as a 'non runner'.

I installed the new Accucell and gave it slap to jumpstart the fork and it started to hum and run, keeping perfect time. It wasn't until two weeks ago (12 months later) that I noticed it had lost time, now it has stopped. The Watch was still humming but the hum was notably louder. - battery removed to prevent damage.

Does this sound like a Service (clean and lubricate) issue?

firebaron90
Posted December 8, 2011 - 5:25pm

If you send a accutron to a repair service, they will usually check the electronics for proper operation. My 218 just came back from a clean and lube. Runs good.  So you are saying the watch hums, and the hands dont move?? If so it sounds like the jeweled paw that drives the gear train is out of alignment, and not engaging the drive wheel.