214 decides to stop for a few seconds... Then starts again

Submitted by Drj9 on May 22, 2013 - 5:40pm

So my 214 appears to just pause. (Second hand).  Appears to occur when I tilt watch to right. Had an old watch repairman ckean several months ago with new battery it also appears to run slow any thoughts? Repairman is now retired and gone thinking of sending to Old Father Time. 

mybulova_admin
Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:09pm

Does it still hum when you tilt and the second hand stops?

Reverend Rob
Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:10am

There may be a lot of reasons for this. Originally the watches ran at 1.35 v and the modern silver oxide cells are 1.55v. The watch may run fine sitting on the bench but will triple index from shocks when worn. This will make the watch run fast, and they do tend to do this regardless. The engineering parameters of the watch are built in and cannot be changed. The watch can only be accurately timed for the higher voltage cells using a microscope and test equipment. It is somewhat exacting and the process is getting the watch to run at a higher voltage than normal. (up to 1.75v) For that you need a variable power supply. Failing this, the watch should be run with Accucells. If your watch is running slow, your index and pawl jewels need to be adjusted or the fine adjustment tweaked on the tuning fork itself. 

This is assuming the watch has been properly serviced and the tension on the pawl and index jewels is correct. If for any reason the index wheel teeth have been touched by a finger or a tweezer, it is destroyed. 

Drj9
Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:04am

The watch still hums when stopped

Reverend Rob
Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:09am

The stopping is likely incorrect adjustment of the pawl and index jewels, or the index wheel is damaged, or the jewels are damaged. 

Drj9
Posted May 24, 2013 - 12:40am

Ok after my wedding I will be sending to OFT for work