1926 Empress Sapphires

Submitted by blueyedpainter on January 3, 2012 - 10:04pm

So I recently bought a 1926 Empress but it is missing 2 of the sapphires... I would really like to find a place where I could buy replacements.  Did a little research and apparently they are .03 carats in a bagguette shape.  Google has failed me!  Anyone have any good ideas?  I would even look into replacing all 4 with a less expensive blue stone (must match the blue winder).

mybulova_admin
Posted January 3, 2012 - 10:23pm

Post a picture of your watch so we can see the shape and color of the stones.

Best bet may be to have them custom made by a jeweler.

blueyedpainter
Posted January 3, 2012 - 10:54pm

I haven't actually gotten the watch yet.  It appears that the bottom right saphire is broken, so maybe replacing all of them at the same time would be my best bet.  Sounds expensive already (keep in mind I'm just a poor college student with weird collecting habits for a 24 year old, haha!)  :)

JCEagle
Posted January 4, 2012 - 6:11pm

Try ESSLINGER.COM they carry saphires.

mybulova_admin
Posted January 5, 2012 - 12:28am

This will make for a great restored vintage Bulova. I wish you luck and look forward to hopefully seeing the finished result one day here on myBulova.

blueyedpainter
Posted January 5, 2012 - 12:01pm

Great advice with Esslinger.com! I think I'll be able to find just what I need there.  Now to find a place where the time piece can be repaired....  Anyone know of a place in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois?

Geoff Baker
Posted January 5, 2012 - 6:26pm

The US Mail will deliver your watch to any number of competent, professional, repair experts who will be glad to do the work. Several of them advertise on the home page banners and are respected members of this forum, others might contact you through private messaging. USPS Priority Mail shipped insured in the states is $5-7, well worth the price.

Nope I'm not one of them ;), thanks for asking though, btw, very nice littel Bulova you have there!