Early 1922 J. Bulova Company watch invoice

Submitted by mybulova_admin on November 16, 2016 - 2:18am

I recently acquired this for the site and is a wonderful example of a very early 20 June 1922 watch invoice issued by the J. Bulova Company.

This shows us what price Bulova were selling their watches at to their authorised jewelers.

Model Case Type Jewels Case Gold Content Retail
150 (Lady Maxim ?) Yellow Plain 15 20 Years Gold Filled $22.50
150 Yellow Engrved 15 25 Years Gold Filled $25
150 Green Engraved 15 25 Years Gold Filled $25
6714 White Engraved 17 18K Solid Gold $50

1922 J. Bulova Company watch invoice

Close up of the logo....at least we now know where the 'American Standard' globe logo came from.

1922 J. Bulova Company logo

JP
Posted November 16, 2016 - 4:10pm

Cool

Geoff Baker
Posted November 17, 2016 - 6:01am

Wow - I love it.

Andersok
Posted November 17, 2016 - 7:26am

I am trying to understand the 'Style No.' and wondering if this is what was used before model names were given; and if the use of the style no is similar to the numbers we see in the price lists from the 50s and 60s and on hang tags...and then again in the late 70s when we start to see the absence of model names. From an advertising standpoint, model names look more appealing than a number. Very nice find!

mybulova_admin
Posted November 18, 2016 - 12:05am

In reply to by Andersok

Correct, if you look at the early 1922 adverts they were typically only given a model number. There were a few that ha names, but this seemed to catch on and before long 1923/24 all their watches, men and womens had names. This continued through to about 1979 which is why the site only real focuses on Bulova watches from this time period.

There is a deeper connect to a 1927 Lone Eagle than to a 1927 Model 2101.

I have a 1927 mail order catalog which has a few pages of watches. All brands simply showed their watch against a number, all that is except Bulova, all their watches had names.

For me, this change from number to name is what really helped Bulova become the company it is today.

Richard Callamaras
Posted January 8, 2017 - 8:03pm

This is fantastic!! You always find such unique and wonderful items.  Hope your warm today it's pretty cold here in Virginia!! Holidays are over I can re enter the world again. I'll give you a call next week.

mybulova_admin
Posted January 13, 2017 - 7:41pm

In reply to by Richard Callamaras

These are the type of items that I love to find as they really do provide us with small pieces of the Bulova history puzzle. This week has been in the high 30s (C) here in Australia. It hit 39'C (102'F) yesterday before a wild storm came through and cooled things down, as well as blowing a few trees over in the process. 

I'm hoping Bulova can find similar items in their own archive.