The 1927 Lone Eagle Letter

Submitted by mybulova_admin on March 23, 2016 - 6:20am

I was recently lucky enough to purchase the ultimate Bulova Lone Eagle prize....an original 1927 facsimile of the letter Capt. Charles A. Lindbergh sent Bulova thanking them for the prize money and watch offered to the first pilot/s to cross the Atlantic.

It took me a few years to find the watch, a few years more to find the box and now the family is finally back together with the addition of the original letter that came  with the watch and box.

1927 Bulova Lone Eagle Letter from Charles A Lindbergh to Bulova

mybulova_admin
Posted March 23, 2016 - 6:21am

The 1927 Bulova Lone Eagle watch, with original box and facsimile letter from Charles Lindbergh to Bulova.

jabs
Posted March 23, 2016 - 6:54am

amazing finding, congratulations to acquire

Geoff Baker
Posted March 23, 2016 - 2:12pm

Congrats Stephen, a most excellent addition to the collection. 

1955mercury
Posted March 25, 2016 - 7:22pm

Facsimile?? That means a copy or reprint. I watched this auction and I don't remember the seller saying it was a facsimile.

I had that saved on my "watch list". I went and looked and the seller added that as a note later on in the auction.

mybulova_admin
Posted March 26, 2016 - 8:47pm

Correct Bulova shipped a copy (facsimile) of the original with each watch sold. I think the seller originally thought the letter was original with an original signature.  Someone (probably from here) was good enough to advise the seller that it was only a copy of the original. Either way to me it's the next best thing. I do wonder though what happened to the original letter. 

plainsmen
Posted April 21, 2016 - 10:31am

Super sweet man.  That's a great find!  They are few and far between, but original stuff is still out there!

William Smith
Posted April 25, 2016 - 3:57am

Nice set.  I only have a scan of the facsimile - so not even an original facsimile.  Think I got that scan from Stephen several years ago, but don't remember for sure. 
Glad your set is reunited.