New Bulova Watch Ads, 1910-1919

Submitted by bobbee on April 22, 2014 - 4:05am

Post your new Bulova watch ads from 1910-1919 here.

IMPORTANT: When adding adverts please try and also include the models referenced. This helps when searching the site.

Three 1919 Rubaiyat adverts.

1919  Rubaiyat Mans' pocket watch

bobbee
Posted September 21, 2014 - 9:34am

Earliest mention of the "Rubaiyat" watch to date by five months.

April 1919.

bobbee
Posted September 22, 2014 - 7:55am

June 25th, 1920 Rubaiyat mentioned.

March 21st, 1920. Rubaiyat ad with upside-down watch!

November 1921, Ruaiyat. This is the youngest I think.

Richard Callamaras
Posted September 22, 2014 - 5:45pm

Bobbee,
This and your other article on the maxim's and rubaiyatt are much appreciated, by me I think especially. I have a large collection of these watches because I firmly believe that they were produced most certainly by Bulova. I have several dozen women's rubaiyat's. I also have two men's rubaiyat pocket watches, with different numerals and case shapes but both marked rubaiyat on the dial and the movement and they are exactly represented in these and other ads. I also have many other unmarked dial lady maxim's, bulova precision, rockland, lord springfield and hudson maxim's. The date ranges we have on case manufacturing and movements match almost all of the time on these pieces. I also have some very early movements that have the name bulova in tremendously intricate cursive writing on the movement. One has a cursive J! These early watches don't seem to ever have a movement number either. I know that at this site we tend to prescribe to movements with hard numbers on them. But I think we need to start making room for very early movements that have the bulova name but no movement number. I believe we will start to see matching case designs and serial numbers that correspond with the placement, style and name representation found on the movements. The movements name placement alone suggests different types of movements because it clearly only allows for specific placement based on the size and shape of the bridges. They can be further differentiated by the unique markings such as the cursive J and the ornate cursive Bulova name, as well add the co signed swiss manufacturing house used. All of our database's started with a scarce bit of data compared to what we currently have. I would like to see us start making room for some of these as well. I think with our curious nature and our propensity for grand speculation and inventive thinking concerning Bulova's intentions in the early days, we would have a great time speculating and categorizing these watches. I would like to also mention that the ornate cushion case was represented across the actual brand, represented by the Bulova Precision. That again has a movement that says just the word Bulova and nothing else on it. You can't argue that this wasn't a Bulova model when you have a double signed watch with a matching date and manufacturer for the case. These early watches open a whole new world to excavate!!! Thanks for your shared confidence and passion for these treasures that I love so much!! :-)

bobbee
Posted September 22, 2014 - 6:32pm

Richard, thank you so much for your kind words, and extensive reasoning.

I too believe we need to be a little "loose" where early Bulova is concerned, as the sources for many early watch movements vary so much, as do the cases in some models.

Rockland! I have searched long and hard for more info or ads on this name, but have only come across other brand, the Illinois Watch Co.. I have researched on just about every Bulova watch name (known), and still come across new ads, which is heartwarming. These latest ads are ones found in the last few days, on a search engine I have not used for a few months. It looks like their constant updating of their database is paying dividends for me!

I think that more information will be found by searching "outside of the box", so to speak, and using lateral thinking, like I did when I found the Rubaiyat and Lady/Hudson Maxim ads.

I have even found the first Westfield ad, dating to 1920. This sort of thinking will find us even more models I am hoping, but the Precision model would be one I'd like to find more info on.

Glad to be of help Richard, and if there is anything you need specifically, any research I could help with, please PM me.

Bob.

Kathy L.
Posted March 7, 2019 - 9:37pm

Akron Eventing Times Aug and Oct 1919

The Lincoln Journal Star Nov 22 1919

Kathy L.
Posted March 7, 2019 - 9:49pm

Lincoln Journal Star, Dec 1920 but thought I would keep it with the other Rubaiyat ads.  I like this one because it breaks down the different options on case, dial and bracelet/strap combos.

mybulova_admin
Posted October 13, 2021 - 6:03am

Original post by Plainsmen

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XLIII, Number 228, 25 July 1918 — Page 16

Trench Watch

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XLIII, Number 228, 25 July 1918 — Page 16

JimDon5822
Posted November 6, 2023 - 10:08pm

Interesting 1919 ad showing the Rubaiyat model and also mentioning Bulova Precision Watches.

The Macon Telegraph (Macon, Georgia) · 22 Oct 1919, Wed · Page 4

19 Rubaiyat

mybulova_admin
Posted November 7, 2023 - 4:34am

In reply to by JimDon5822

Makes you wonder if the Precision label was just another Rubaiyat watch with a Bulova branded 'precision' movement, a variation of the Rubaiyat, or an entirely new branded watch...soon t become the Bulova long line of watches. 

Perhaps the 'Bulova Precision' was the first time we saw the name Bulova on a dial and then it became just Bulova.