Bulova Oceanographer "B" 1968

Submitted by KWalls on October 3, 2014 - 1:40pm

I recently acquired my watch from an antique warehouse. Over all the watch is in great condition, the only troubling thing about it is the fact that the movement is loose inside the case. It my first Bulova watch and I wasn't sure if this might be a common issue. I thought that maybe there wasn't a movement retaining ring, but there is. When I pull the crown out to adjust the time the whole movement and dial moves within the case. I was curious how I could fix this. Having read a little I was thinking either case screws or a retention ring/gasket. Any ideas and if so what are the model numbers of the parts... Thanks, any info would be appreciated. 

bobbee
Posted October 3, 2014 - 2:40pm

The ring on the outside of the movement- the spacer- does it have little "slits" around the top edge? Sometimes these have been flattened by time, and should be slightly arched so as to come into contact with the case back upon tightening down, thus holding the movement still in the case.

Bob.

KWalls
Posted October 3, 2014 - 4:18pm

Just had a look, nope every thing is perfectly smooth and solid. I believe the spacer/movement retention ring fits perfectly, yet does not seem to sit against the case back. I'm curious if there was a rubber gasket or a metal retention ring missing....really not sure sine I haven't a real clue!

thanks,

Kyle

KWalls
Posted October 3, 2014 - 11:49pm

Found an interesting pic on ebay and another on the web of a wavy ring that seems to sit inside the case back. Seems to me that this might be the answer I was looking for. If so now I just have to try and find out what it's called and of course how I can get one! I'll try to post a pic....

KWalls
Posted October 4, 2014 - 12:51am

inner wave ring

KWalls
Posted October 5, 2014 - 9:42am

So, anyone out there seen this piece before and if so what is it called? I have looked all over the net and have found nothing promissing....

kyle

bobbee
Posted October 5, 2014 - 10:05am

It does the same thing as the usual spacer with raised tabs,  by pressing upon the movement spacer ring it keeps the movement still and tight. I have the same thing in my Omega Geneve case back.

KWalls
Posted October 5, 2014 - 10:13am

Ah good, do you know what the official name or the part is? I'm having a hard time tracking one down. Thanks for the info

KWalls
Posted October 5, 2014 - 8:48pm

Also from my stamp it is the same as the picture above "2892" case