Accutron 214 batteries

Submitted by ToXic Blonde on June 22, 2018 - 10:54am

Anyone know the truth about Accutron batteries? One site sells them for a whopping 20 dollars claiming that they are are 1.3 volts, but I look at the batt they sell and they are varta 395 399 which are 1.5 volts

My understanding is this higher voltage cell can potentially cause the Accutron to run intermittently 

The difference is their cell has the plastic adapter on it, I have that adapter, so why pay $20 when I can get them 50 cents
Can anyone enlighten me please!!!

Thanks in advance

Michelle

ToXic Blonde
Posted June 22, 2018 - 11:41am

Sorry this message is in error, not the first one however

Reverend Rob
Posted June 22, 2018 - 11:47am

The batteries they're selling are probably attenuated with a resisitor, sometimes called 'Accu-Cells', and I have used them from time to time. There is a site that discusses 'Phasing' of the Accutron to run correctly with a modern cell:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accphs.htm

ToXic Blonde
Posted June 22, 2018 - 11:55am

Yep, I know that site, however they suggest putting a resistor in there somewhere and I’m not completely comfortable w that

’the accu-cell is the proper one then and I should just spring for the 20 bucks?  Surely there is a wholesale outlet for them

thanks for the reply :)

ToXic Blonde
Posted June 22, 2018 - 12:04pm

Then this also brings to mind has my watch been converted w resistor or not, I doubt it as it all looks original, except the new battery, it’s also keeping dead on time

Reverend Rob
Posted June 22, 2018 - 2:55pm

The resistor is actually in the ring/cap of the spacer that comes with the cell. I don't recall ever hearing of a resistor being installed in the movt, but that's not to say it's not possible. 

Phasing is an adjustment so the watch runs correctly with the increase in voltage. 

ToXic Blonde
Posted June 22, 2018 - 3:07pm

Ok maybe I misunderstood, I Read so much yesterday my head Is spinning, and as an afterthought seeing that these two watchs appear to be Original original factory watchs what’s the harm in spending 20 bucks on them :)’

Thanks Rev

Astronaut M2
Posted June 24, 2018 - 8:05am

214 movements in almost all cases only requirer the indexing be adjusted (Phasing) to run on the newer 1.50-volt battery and once done the newer batteries last over a year, Accu-cells don't last near as long because a smaller cell is used along with a resistor, Not an ideal solution... 

I have adjusted at least 100 214 movements to run on the 1.50-volt batteries and as long as the coil assys are good and working properly and the magnets are still strong enough I've never had any of the movements not run within Bulova specs... 

ToXic Blonde
Posted June 24, 2018 - 8:40am

Thanks so much, this seems to be the consensus of others I have spoke w as well.    The 387s batteries are quite sufficient to run these jems

i appreciate your reply :)

michelle